For those researching a country, you will find that country information tends to take two forms:
- Analysis – country reports are descriptive reports covering most areas of interest on a country. They contain an analysis of the business environment and include information on political, environmental, social, technological and risk factors. These are the best place to start your research.
- Datasets – raw data, e.g. GDP, inflation figures, etc.. These are generally downloadable as charts or in Excel.
In this post, we focus on sources for country analysis. For sources of data, please see the links at the bottom.
MIRC’s best sources for country analysis are:
- FitchConnect (previously known as BMI Research)
- MarketLine Advantage
- Thomson One
Content previously available via BMI Research is now available here. FitchConnect contains in-depth country risk reports for over 200 countries. Content includes SWOT analysis, economic outlook, political outlook and 10 year forecasts.
- Use the Global Search box at the top right of the page and type the country you are researching.
- Select your country from the ‘Entities’ column in the dropdown results menu. (Please note that countries will always have the tag ‘Sovereigns’ under the country name).
- You will arrive on the country’s ‘Summary’ tab. From here open the ‘Country Risk’ tab.
- Use the ‘Reports’ sub-tab to access the Country Risk reports amongst others.
- Click on any report from this list to open full-text.
MarketLine contains over 100 country analysis reports. These
are comprehensive, generally around 50-100 pages long and contain a country overview, PESTLE analysis (political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental factors), key indicators and various charts and graphs.
- Enter a country name in the search box, select ‘Country & risk reports’ from the filters and click ‘Go’.
- Open the report you require by clicking on its title.
- From the Table of Contents page, use the left-hand navigation menu. Click the ‘View Online’ option to read on-screen or export the full report using your preferred file option.
Thomson One includes a limited selection of EIU Country Reports within its Research module. Reports cover political and economic outlook and forecasts and include data, charts and recent analysis. Coverage is limited to fifty of the world’s fastest growing economies.
- These can be searched by selecting ‘Screening & Analysis’ > ‘Research’ > ‘Research Search’ from the menus to enter the Advanced Research screen.
- Once there, select your date range at the top and and enter your country name into the title field. Then click on the looking glass icon to search using Economist Intelligence Unit as the ‘contributor’ (select all options in the results).
- Your results will be displayed beneath your search options – so scroll down to view.
- Click on any title (and select ‘Select All Reports’ at the top) to read. The report will open in a new window.
Before logging into Thomson One, users should be aware of the following:
- Thomson One only works in Internet Explorer
- Your browser popup blocker must be disabled.
If country coverage is patchy…
The two journal databases listed below can be useful if you have not found enough analysis in our country resources. Both include some country profiles. Select this as your ‘publication type’ on the advanced search screen.
You may also be interested in…
Sources of macroeconomic data:
- Charting data in FitchConnect
- Finding economic data on Passport
- A quick guide to sourcing EIU data
- Introducing… the UK Data Service
Other sources of macroeconomic data and analysis:
If you have any questions about sourcing country information – either data or analysis – please contact MIRC.
Feature image from Pixabay. Available at: https://pixabay.com/photos/earth-internet-globalisation-2254769/