Homepage / A Dream Realised: Receiving the FIA Scholarship and Pursuing Motorsport Excellence at Cranfield University

A Dream Realised: Receiving the FIA Scholarship and Pursuing Motorsport Excellence at Cranfield University

10/10/2024

We recently caught up with FIA Motorsport Engineering Scholarship winner, Muhammad Yasir, who is getting ready to study Advanced Motorsport Engineering MSc in October. We discussed what winning the scholarship meant to him, the impact it will have on his studies, why he chose Cranfield University and what makes him passionate about motorsport. We are looking forward to catching up with Muhammad and updating you on during his year at Cranfield.

The moment I received the news that I was awarded the FIA scholarship was nothing short of a dream come true! This isn’t just a personal milestone—it’s a significant leap forward in my professional journey, opening doors to opportunities I had only ever imagined. The FIA scholarship is more than a financial boost; it’s a powerful endorsement from one of the most prestigious organisations in motorsport. It’s a reminder that my aspirations within this fiercely competitive industry are within reach. This recognition pushes me to work even harder and embrace every challenge that comes my way with unwavering commitment. 

My journey toward this scholarship began with a blend of research and industry conversations. As I delved deeper into what the scholarship represented, I realised it was perfectly aligned with my career goals in motorsport. The more I learnt, the more I was drawn to the idea of being supported by an organisation that has been shaping the world of motorsport for decades. 

Why I chose Cranfield University

When it came to choosing where to further my education, Cranfield University was the clear choice. Known for its exceptional reputation in motorsport engineering, Cranfield offers an unparalleled level of expertise. The chance to learn from academics who are deeply involved in the industry was something I couldn’t pass up. But beyond academic excellence, it was the hands-on experience, the state-of-the-art facilities, and the university’s close links to major motorsport teams, that truly set Cranfield apart. I knew that Cranfield would be an environment where I could challenge myself and grow in every aspect. 

What draws me to motorsport is its relentless pursuit of excellence. The speed, precision, and advancing technology behind every race is captivating, but what truly inspires me is the teamwork and split-second decision-making involved. Motorsport is about pushing boundaries, solving complex problems, and contributing to something far bigger than oneself. It’s an industry synonymous with cutting-edge research and development and the latest innovations in vehicle technology. Looking ahead, I’m thrilled by the industry’s evolving landscape, especially with the integration of new technologies and a growing focus on sustainability. 

Looking to the year ahead 

As I embark on my MSc journey at Cranfield, I’m most excited about the group projects and individual thesis work. These projects are more than academic exercises—they’re opportunities to tackle real-world challenges in motorsport alongside talented peers. I’m eager to collaborate, brainstorm, and innovate with other students who share my passions. Additionally, I’m looking forward to connecting with industry professionals and tapping into Cranfield’s extensive network. Above all, I’m ready to push my limits, soak up knowledge, and make the most of this incredible opportunity. 

Receiving the FIA scholarship is just the beginning. It’s the fuel that will power my journey as I strive to make a meaningful impact in the world of motorsport. I’m ready to embrace the challenges ahead and fully commit to the path that lies before me. 

Muhammad Yasir,

Written By: Alice Kirkaldy

FIA Motorsport Engineering Scholarship winner 2024