Homepage / A Life-Changing Journey: The impact of my Women in STEM Scholarship

A Life-Changing Journey: The impact of my Women in STEM Scholarship

14/10/2024

Education is a privilege that not everyone has access to, which is why being awarded a scholarship to study for my master’s degree at Cranfield University felt like an extraordinary blessing. The opportunity to pursue higher education, especially in the UK which is known globally for it’s high academic standards, filled me with an immense sense of pride and gratitude. The financial benefit from the Women in STEM scholarship allowed me to focus on my studies without the stress of supporting myself throughout the MSc, creating an environment where I could truly thrive.

How the Women in STEM scholarship transformed my MSc journey

Receiving the scholarship has had a profound impact on both my academic life and personal growth. It gave me the freedom to dedicate myself fully to my coursework, resulting in high achievements throughout my MSc. I am now set to graduate from the Management and Information Systems MSc, which is exactly the direction I envisioned for myself after completing my bachelor’s degree in Economics. The course not only deepened my understanding of management and information systems but also enriched my skills and broadened my perspective.

Throughout the year, I’ve significantly improved my programming skills and honed my communication abilities, while my worldview expanded in ways I couldn’t have imagined. It’s incredible to reflect on how much I’ve grown, both personally and professionally, and how much knowledge I’ve gained in such a short time.

My year in the UK

Living and studying in the UK has been an enjoyable and eye-opening experience, especially at Cranfield University, which boasts a truly international environment. I’ve formed close friendships with people from all over the world, learning about their cultures, histories, and perspectives. These interactions sparked countless fascinating discussions, from food and culture, to politics and economics, creating a vibrant learning experience beyond the classroom.

Academically, the course design and delivery at Cranfield has been exceptional. What I appreciated most was how the courses are structured to immerse students in real-world industrial contexts, a feature I believe sets Cranfield apart from other universities. This practical, hands-on approach made my learning journey more relevant and engaging.

Why I chose Cranfield University

When I was exploring options for my master’s degree, Cranfield University stood out. As a graduate-focused institution, it offered the exact course I was looking for—something that was not easy to find elsewhere. Now, having experienced it first hand, I understand how Cranfield’s focus on postgraduate education makes a significant difference.

There’s a unique maturity and sense of purpose among the students here, which creates a dynamic and goal-driven atmosphere. Everyone knows why they are here and what they aim to achieve, fostering an environment of focus and determination. The campus itself is a safe, welcoming place, and the strong emphasis on research means that students can delve deep into their subjects and conduct high-quality research.

Advice for future students

If you’re considering applying for a scholarship or studying at Cranfield University, my advice is simple: be clear about your goals. Know what you want to achieve and how your experiences up to this point have shaped you. Reflect on your journey and how it connects to your future aspirations.

Cranfield is a remarkable place to grow academically and personally. While it is located in a quieter village setting, which some might find less vibrant than a bustling city, I believe this adds to its charm. The peaceful environment provides a perfect space for self-reflection, building strong relationships, and focusing on your studies. It encourages a deeper connection with fellow students, helping you form lasting friendships.

Make the most of your time here—get to know people, host dinners, share your culture, and embrace the opportunity to learn about others. And don’t forget to explore! During my time here, I’ve managed to visit various parts of the UK and five neighbouring countries. So while academics are important, remember to have fun and create memories outside the classroom too.

Reflecting on my time as a Cranfield student

My time at Cranfield University, made possible by the scholarship I received, has been nothing short of transformative. It has shaped me into a more knowledgeable, skilled, and well-rounded individual. For anyone considering applying for a scholarship or joining Cranfield, I encourage you to take the leap—you won’t regret it!!

Ayaulym Armanova

Written By: Alice Kirkaldy

Women in STEM Scholar (Management and Information Systems MSc, 2023)