Homepage / My Cranfield Adventure: A Year of Growth and Discovery

My Cranfield Adventure: A Year of Growth and Discovery

15/10/2024

So, here I am, Philippe Masse, reflecting on my incredible year at Cranfield University, where I pursued an MSc in Engineering and Management of Manufacturing Systems (EMMS). As a French student, I chose Cranfield for its international reputation and the opportunity to immerse myself in a different culture.

A French student’s journey at Cranfield University

From the moment I arrived on campus, I was struck by the vibrant atmosphere and the diversity of the student body. Studying alongside classmates from all corners of the globe was an eye-opening experience, allowing me to appreciate different perspectives and learn from their unique experiences. The university’s emphasis on practical learning and industry engagement was also a major draw for me.

I chose this master’s degree because of its dual focus on industry and management. Coming from a French engineering school with a focus on industry, I wanted to keep this industrial fibre, but I also wanted to find out how to manage teams and production lines. I knew that the English education system was particularly benevolent and equipped with technology to support learning. All these factors contributed to my choice of this university.

Collaborating with Rolls Royce on a manufacturing project

The course itself was challenging but incredibly rewarding. I particularly enjoyed the group projects, which gave me the chance to collaborate with talented peers and apply my theoretical knowledge to real-world problems. Working with Rolls Royce on a manufacturing project was a highlight, as it provided me with valuable industry experience and a glimpse into the future of engineering.

Campus life and experiences

Beyond the academics, Cranfield offered a rich and fulfilling campus life. I joined the rugby team, which not only kept me fit but also allowed me to forge lasting friendships. The university’s proximity to Milton Keynes and London provided ample opportunities for exploration and cultural experiences.

Advice for future students

My advice would be to get out of your confidence zone. Firstly, leaving your country to study abroad is not an obvious choice for everyone, but it’s such a productive one. It really allows you to reveal yourself and be in a better position to seize life’s future opportunities. Secondly, when you arrive on campus, you find yourself with a lot of students you don’t know. You shouldn’t be afraid to reach out to people and make connections. That’s how you’ll meet incredible people and have extraordinary experiences.

A highly recommended university for academic success

I now work in France, in the city of Nantes. My team recruits consulting engineers who I place on medium-term assignments with industrial companies. Once again, I particularly appreciate the management/industry duality that I discovered at Cranfield. I meet new people every day and the interpersonal skills I developed in the UK help me enormously.

The university’s supportive environment and the quality of education I received have set me up for success in my career. I would highly recommend Cranfield to anyone seeking a challenging yet rewarding academic experience.

Philippe Masse

Written By: Poonam Maini

Engineering and Management of Manufacturing Systems MSc, 2024