If you’re looking for a gateway to key economic and social data, then you might like to take a look at the UK Data Service (UKDS).
Offering a wide range of secondary data from a variety of sources, the UKDS includes:
- UK surveys – including population, crime, social attitude, household and health surveys.
- Cross-national surveys – including European and International social surveys.
- Longitudinal studies – including UK studies on ageing, young people, and understanding society.
- International macrodata – macroeconomic data from the EU, IMF, OECD, UN and World Bank.
- Census data – UK Census data from 1971-2011.
- Business microdata – data collected from the Office of National Statistics.
- Qualitative data – data collected from UK surveys.
Not sure where to start?
Then take a look at some of the datasets our current and previous students have found useful. Most UKDS data tables can also be customised and exported into a variety of formats!
- IMF International Financial Statistics – Excellent source of international financial statistics for most countries. Includes time series data on exchange rates, balance of payments, interest rates, prices, international transactions, and much more.
- World Bank World Development Indicators – Look here for statistical data for over 600 development indicators (covering social, economic, financial, natural resources and environmental indicators) for over 200 countries and 18 country groups.
- OECD Main Economic Indicators – Provides annual, quarterly and monthly data for a range of short-term economic indicators for OECD member countries and some non-member countries.
- IMF Direction of Trade Statistics – Useful database for looking at the value of exports and imports between countries and all their trading partners.
How do I access the UKDS?
- You will find a link to the UK Data Service on the MIRC and KNL websites.
- Once logged in, click on one of the links on the right-hand side to get started. Click on either ‘Discover’ (which allows you to search by keyword), or ‘Key data’ (which identifies the key datasets available and allows you to browse by theme).
- Please note that the first time you wish to download data, you will be prompted to register with the UKDS. You will need to click on the Register link and complete the online form.
Public domain image by Pixabay https://pixabay.com/en/shopping-business-retail-1165437/, CC0