If you are researching a company’s performance over time or analysing the impact of a corporate transaction, valuable information can be sourced from analysts’ reports.
What are analysts’ reports and why might I need them?
Also known as brokers’ reports or research reports, these kinds of documents from financial institutions such as Deutsche Bank, Crédit Suisse, JP Morgan, etc. provide expert analysis on company and industry performance.
The Library’s most comprehensive source for analysts’ reports is Capital IQ. In addition to providing comprehensive company financials for listed companies worldwide and a growing number of private firms, it also allows you to search across thousands of reports from a wide range of banks and brokerage houses.
Signing up for access via Capital IQ
Because these reports are an added extra within Capital IQ, users who wish access must email email@example.com to have them added to their account.
Sourcing analysts’ reports in Capital IQ
- Sign up for access via the SOM Library (see above).
- From the Capital IQ homepage, type the company name into the search box and load the company profile (tearsheet).
- When the profile is displayed, scroll down until you see the option for ‘Research’ > ‘Investment Research’ (generally towards the bottom of the left-hand menu bar). Select ‘Investment Research’.
A company’s Investment Research page will display the last 30 days of research reports.
- Use the search criteria options above the reports list to make edits – such as expanding your date range, adding keywords into your search or specifying the type of report you require.
- For more search options, use the ‘Advanced search’ tab.
- We recommend previewing all reports before download. Previewing allows you to check contents and to search for keywords.
- To preview or open a single report from your list, click either on the headline or on the PDF icon on the right-hand side.
- To preview multiple reports (recommended), select titles using the checkboxes on the left and then click on ‘Preview’. This allows for a quick comparison of report content and enables you to select only the most relevant titles for download.
If you have questions on any aspect of company or industry research, please pop in and see us or contact the SOM Library.
Feature image from Pixabay. Available at: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/09/19/18/30/calculator-1680905_960_720.jpg