Homepage / My journey to Cranfield: From Nigeria to global impact

My journey to Cranfield: From Nigeria to global impact

10/10/2024

We asked Oluwamayowa about his experience of coming to the UK and studying at Cranfield University as an international student.

What inspired you to study at Cranfield?

My uncle gave me a reference and informed me about Cranfield’s standards. I carried out lots of research and discovered wonderful testimonies supporting what he had mentioned. I must say that this is the best choice I have made in six years.

What sparked your interest in renewable energy?

Beautiful sunset above the windmills on the field

While in Nigeria, I worked with my father at his farm and realised how much garbage we made from agricultural production. I was concerned about saving the earth and studied how the waste could be converted, which led me to renewable energy.

Did you receive a scholarship?

Yes, I had £10,000-pound scholarship. It was like a miracle; Cranfield assigned an agent who was helpful for Sub-Saharan Africa, he talked to my course director, who contacted me, and I was given the scholarship. It was a straightforward process.

As an international student, how did you find the process to study in the UK?

It was a combination of both feelings, on one hand I got all the encouragement I needed from the agent designated by Cranfield University, on the other hand, I was anxious about some little delays from the Nigerian embassy. All in all, Cranfield participants provided me with all the help emotionally and physically until I got my visa.

What was your favourite module?

In Energy Entrepreneurship, Dr Orsolya Ihasz literally transferred her energy to me. It also was a chance to work closely with my colleagues where my group members and I had to work on the problems faced by UK households due to their response of insulation for outdoor aesthetics in the race to net zero by 2050.

Tell us more about your group project.

It was an interesting and challenging one as only one of my group members had an electrical engineering background and the rest of us had a mechanical engineering background. My project was to model a 50kW solar panel system integrated with an electrolyser to produce hydrogen, focused on reducing the Levelised Cost of Hydrogen. I learnt soft skills such as time management, organisational skills and conflict resolution.

Tell us more about your thesis.

My thesis was about developing a net zero emissions algae biorefinery at Makoko, Lagos. This was a niche project as the technological advances were new, I did an internship with Biowatt Facilities Management Limited where I was able to apply the industry standards I had gained in class immediately. Dr Vinod Kumar was amazing with his time in providing the adequate knowledge I needed to submit and defend my thesis successfully.

What do you like about the teaching styles at Cranfield?

It addresses the jobs done in the sector and its practical. A lot of in-class presentations and group projects help students develop soft skills such as time management, cooperation, and communication.

Tell us about your student experience at Cranfield and in the UK. Tell us about the trips, societies, clubs, and your student accommodation.

I lived in Lanchester Hall and was a member of both the Green Team and the Cranfield Football Society. The Green Team was crucial since it helped me find an internship, while football kept me well and provided an opportunity to rest after studying.

After Cranfield, what are your ambitions for your career?

My goal is to help achieve net zero by the year 2050. In the next ten years, I intend to establish a business that will allow me to contribute to the community.

Written By: Autumn Handscombe