Homepage / My journey as a computational fluid dynamics enthusiast

My journey as a computational fluid dynamics enthusiast

11/06/2024

Hi everyone, I’m Kilyan, a soon-to-be graduate of the Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) MSc from Cranfield University. Originally from Mexico, I live in Milton Keynes and am excited to embark on a career in this fascinating field.

My passion for CFD ignited way back during my BEng in Mexico City. When I stumbled upon Cranfield’s MSc in CFD, I was immediately struck by its exceptional structure. It perfectly aligned with my academic goals.

I discovered the programme through Cranfield’s website. Initially, the comprehensive list of modules and topics felt a little daunting. But as I progressed through my BEng, my CFD skills grew, and I felt increasingly confident in tackling these challenges.

Life on campus is demanding, but incredibly rewarding. My days are packed with activity – waking up early, catching up on social media (briefly!), and diving straight into assignments by 9:30/10 am. Lunch is a short break to recharge, followed by another focused work session until dinner. Evenings often involve extra “night shifts” to stay ahead. It’s a full-on schedule, but I find ways to stay motivated and manage my workload.

Future aspirations

Before starting my studies at Cranfield, I had the valuable experience of working as a CFD cooling/thermal engineer for Ford Motor Company in Mexico. This role provided me with firsthand insights into the professional application of CFD simulations.

“Studying in the UK has been an amazing adventure. Living abroad broadens your horizons, and I highly recommend it to any young student. Cranfield University, in particular, has transformed my knowledge base over the past 10 months. The learning experience here is truly invaluable, and the depth of knowledge you gain depends on your own drive and dedication.

My dream career is to become an F1 engineer. It’s an experience I crave. However, my ultimate dream is to work as a CFD engineer at Koenigsegg Automotive in Sweden.

Advice for aspiring CFD engineers

Be prepared to spend serious time in the library! When my course director, Dr Tom-Robin Teschner, mentioned this during our introduction week, I didn’t quite grasp that he was serious. But trust me, the library will become your second home.

Another tip – prioritise your assignments. Getting a head start, especially on the earlier ones, frees up valuable time for tackling tougher assignments later in the programme.

A fun fact for CFD enthusiasts

If you’re considering the CFD course at Cranfield, get ready to work hard alongside your classmates. It’s reputed to be one of the most challenging programmes at the university. But is it worth it? Absolutely! I have zero regrets about choosing CFD, and neither will you.

Finally, attend all the conferences and activities that align with your interests. It’s inspiring to see how Cranfield alumni have carved successful careers in the engineering field.

This is just a glimpse into my journey at Cranfield. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below!

Kilyan Ocampo Cardenas

Written By: Poonam Maini

Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) MSc, 2023