Homepage / From Mexico to Manufacturing: My journey at Cranfield University

From Mexico to Manufacturing: My journey at Cranfield University

12/10/2024

Hi there! My name is Rodrigo Ruiz Diaz, and I’m a Mexican manufacturing enthusiast, and I graduated with an MSc in Manufacturing Technology and Management from Cranfield University in June 2023.

Just three weeks before the world entered a global lockdown in March 2020 due to COVID-19, I attended a postgraduate fair in Mexico City. My initial plan was to pursue a master’s degree in the UK two to three years after my graduation in June 2020, as I wanted to take a break after completing my four-year bachelor’s degree. However, during that fair, Cranfield University captured my attention as an outstanding choice for advancing my education for several compelling reasons.

Why Cranfield and manufacturing?

First and foremost, Cranfield’s specialised focus on postgraduate education ensures a rigorous and practical learning experience tailored to each student’s field. The university’s strong connections with industry leaders provide invaluable networking opportunities, internships, and collaborative projects, all of which significantly enhance employability.

Moreover, Cranfield’s curriculum is closely aligned with current market demands, preparing graduates to excel in a rapidly evolving sector. The expert faculty, who possess extensive industry experience and academic knowledge, foster a collaborative and innovative learning environment, making Cranfield the ideal setting for aspiring professionals in manufacturing and management.

This combination of practical experience, industry relevance, and academic excellence made Cranfield University the perfect place for me to pursue my Master’s degree.

I chose the Manufacturing Technology and Management course at Cranfield University because it is ranked among the top 30 for Engineering—Mechanical, Aeronautical, and Manufacturing. This distinction reflects the programme’s excellence and reputation in the field.

Cranfield’s Manufacturing Technology and Management course offers several advantages that set it apart from other programmes. Designed in collaboration with leading manufacturers, the curriculum is closely aligned with current industry needs and challenges, ensuring that students are well-prepared for immediate contributions in the workforce.

Furthermore, Cranfield’s strong connections with industry partners open up opportunities for networking events, guest lectures, and internships, allowing students to build vital connections that are crucial for career advancement.

By choosing Manufacturing Technology and Management at Cranfield, students position themselves at the forefront of the manufacturing sector, equipping themselves with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in their careers.

Attraction to Manufacturing Technology and Management

The entire course was an incredible experience, enriched by a diverse range of topics that broadened my understanding of the field. The programme is led by experienced faculty who are experts in their respective areas, bringing invaluable industry insights and research expertise into the classroom. This not only enhances the learning experience but also provides essential mentorship for students.

For my final project, I collaborated with Atlas Copco, where I had the opportunity to plan and implement a Lean Product Development pilot initiative using a real industrial case study. This project incorporated methodologies such as Set-Based Concurrent Engineering, which significantly improved efficiency and productivity while reducing project timelines.

After rigorous testing and refinement, I presented the finalised prototype to the Global R&D Manager, showcasing the tangible benefits of Lean Product Development methodologies. I am proud to say that the prototype was accepted as a viable alternative design for future use.

Moreover, I introduced the company to the application of lean thinking and innovation practices in the product development process, further embedding these principles within the organisation. This experience not only deepened my understanding of effective product development but also demonstrated the significant value of integrating lean practices to drive innovation and enhance efficiency.

My Cranfield experience

I would typically wake up at 7:30 AM to grab breakfast at Mitchell Hall, which I highly recommend, before heading to my classes from 8:40 AM to 4:30 PM. While that might seem like a long day, time truly flies when you’re engaged in what you love.

After class, I often hit the gym at the Sports Hall, but during the summer, I also enjoyed various activities on the football field. I had the chance to connect with fellow students from over ten different nationalities. We frequently organised picnics and themed dinner nights where we cooked traditional dishes from our home countries. The campus always felt vibrant and welcoming, creating a friendly atmosphere where everyone felt welcome.

Life after Cranfield

After graduating, I landed a role as an Area Manager at Amazon. The position is demanding but fulfilling, and I’m constantly learning and growing in my role. I’m also committed to further developing my skills in areas like data analysis, project management, and leadership.

I oversee more than 40 team members, focusing on operational efficiency, productivity, and team performance. My responsibilities include ensuring that daily operations run smoothly by managing workflows, identifying areas for improvement, and implementing effective solutions to enhance efficiency.

Advice for future students

If you’re considering a career in manufacturing, I highly recommend pursuing a degree at Cranfield University. The university’s industry connections, practical curriculum, and supportive environment can set you up for success.

With the manufacturing sector evolving rapidly, it’s essential to stay informed about the latest trends and innovations to stay ahead in the field. Make the most of Cranfield’s resources and connections to increase your knowledge and career prospects.

Rodrigo Ruiz Diaz

Written By: Poonam Maini

A manufacturing enthusiast, who graduated with an MSc in Manufacturing Technology and Management from Cranfield University in June 2023.