Visual Control Systems Connected to the Real World!
Wouldn’t it be refreshing if the Visual Control Systems we use to run our businesses were as simple as that in the picture above!
Obviously businesses are a little more complex than driving a truck on a straight road in the US, but we do come across the most elaborate schematics that are supposed to be used to drive businesses.
Although a certain prowess in use of graphics is demonstrated, some key questions leap out:
· Purpose: How do these more elaborate dashboards relate to the key Purpose or Leaders’ intent of the Organisation or Unit to which they refer?
· Line of sight: How does the Executive have any line of sight to the Front-line to be sure they’re executing the Leaders’ intent?
· Value of my contribution: How can people at the Front-line be sure that what they are doing supports or drives forward the Leaders’ intent?
· (Right) Data Driven: How can Executives and Managers out to the Front-line be sure that what they see is a true representation of the underlying data, and that the right data is being used?
· Predicted Future Direction: How does the Visual Control System help in predicting Business Performance going forward.
Canterbury District Health System has built a Visual Control System that they believe addresses each of these points both succinctly and clearly:
And, just to be clear, in the video, you’ll see charts like this one below, where the dashed lines going forward from the latest month’s data in February 2019, predict the volume of demand ahead for the next 12 months.
Perhaps a bit more useful than any-which-way-you can dashboards, although below you can see what happens if you ignore even the most simple of Visual Controls:
Thanks for reading …
Categories & Tags:
Leave a comment on this post:
You might also like…
How do I access the full-text of Harvard Business Review (HBR)?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions in the School of Management Library, presumably because HBR is such a key management journal and is renowned worldwide. The short answer is via EBSCO Business ...
Want to find out more about data documentation?: Workshop on 1 June
Data documentation is essential to make sure that well-organised and well-documented research data can be produced from our research projects. It ensures that your data will be understood and interpreted by any user. It will ...
Working on your internship report
Instead of producing a traditional thesis, as covered in our earlier post, some students in the School of Management - and perhaps some in other Cranfield Schools too - will embark upon on an internship ...
Embracing a Marketing and Leadership MSc Apprenticeship.
A Q&A with Faizah Azeem. Why did you decide to undertake a postgraduate apprenticeship in Marketing and Leadership? Cranfield delivers a unique programme that sits well with professionals wanting to develop themselves into expert ...
What is ‘Digital Forensic Science’?
Despite being a fundamental tool for many organisations and criminal justice systems around the world, arguably digital forensic science as a discipline does not always get the recognition it deserves in media broadcasts. Therefore, public ...
Pandemic PhD to prospects PhD
Hello, my name is Danni and I’m a third-year PhD student in the School of Water, Energy, and Environment specifically within the Soil, Agrifood and Biosciences department. My PhD focuses on how biostimulants (seaweeds, ...
Love these David, thank you. Please do mail me if you’re happy to continue to do so, I really welcome the insight.