Homepage / Exploring the Skies: My Journey at Cranfield University

Exploring the Skies: My Journey at Cranfield University

28/08/2024

When it came to choosing where to further my education, Cranfield University was the obvious choice—especially for someone as passionate about aerospace as I am. Cranfield’s global reputation in the field is unmatched, but what truly sets it apart is its status as the only university in the world with it’s own operational airport. This unique feature not only provides incredible hands-on learning experiences but also adds an exhilarating dimension to everyday life on campus.

As a child, I was always captivated by the world of aerospace, dreaming of designing the next generation of spacecraft and aircraft. Today, I’m living that dream as I pursue my Aerospace Vehicle Design MSc at Cranfield. This course isn’t just another programme; its one of Cranfield’s flagship offerings, steeped in history and prestige dating back to the university’s very beginnings. Being part of something with such a rich legacy is both inspiring and humbling.

The faculty at Cranfield are industry veterans and experts, each bringing a wealth of experience and a contagious enthusiasm for teaching. Cranfield’s industry connections are second to none, offering students the chance to work on real-world projects with major players like Airbus, Boeing, and Rolls-Royce. This kind of experience is invaluable and something you won’t find elsewhere.

Cranfield has nurtured my passion for aerospace, pushing me to aim higher and work harder. The flexibility in learning and the rigorous academic standards have provided the perfect environment for me to excel. I’m incredibly proud to be part of this vibrant community and excited about what the future holds.

Unforgettable Moments: The Flying Experience

One of the highlights of my time at Cranfield was the flying experience. Where else can you engage in aerobatic flying as part of your curriculum? The memory of that day is still vivid—I can practically feel the G-forces as we soared through the sky! The intense positive and negative G’s were exhilarating, almost giving me a sense of what gravity might feel like on different celestial bodies.

Although it wasn’t quite the zero-gravity experience you get with a parabolic flight, those moments were still nothing short of extraordinary—a little taste of space right here on Earth. A huge shout-out to the NFLC at Cranfield and their amazing pilots for making it all possible. Who knows? Learning to fly might just be my next adventure!

My Future in Aerospace

Looking ahead, I’m focused on carving out a career in the systems side of both aeronautics and astronautics. I’m eager to gain extensive industry experience, enabling me to contribute meaningfully to the aerospace sector. My journey at Cranfield has set me on the right path, and I’m excited to see where this passion will take me as I continue to grow and develop professionally.

Innovative Projects: Working on the Future of Aviation

During my time at Cranfield, I had the opportunity to work on some cutting-edge projects. My group project, supported by Airbus, centred on designing low-emissions evolvable future aircraft—an area with immense potential. While I can’t divulge too much due to an NDA, I can say it was an incredible experience.

My thesis, part of the EU SENECA Project, focused on the future of supersonic aircraft. Both projects offered invaluable opportunities to engage with the latest technologies in aerospace, further deepening my knowledge and skills.

Advice for Future Students: Follow Your Passion!

For those considering postgraduate study, my advice is simple: follow your passion. Don’t just go after what’s trendy or “cool” because others are doing it. Cranfield’s courses are designed to help you chase your dreams, but it’s up to you to dive in and make the most of it. Whether you’re still discovering your passion or already know what drives you, use your time here to fuel it and make it unstoppable.

Making the Most of Campus Life

Cranfield offers a wealth of facilities that truly enhance the student experience. I took full advantage of the accommodation and sports facilities, both of which played a big role in making my time here memorable. The accommodation was comfortable and convenient, taking away the stress of finding a place to live. The sports facilities, especially the gym, were perfect for staying active and unwinding after a long day. Cranfield has everything you need to live well and stay healthy, making the whole experience stress-free and enjoyable.

Why I Chose to study in the UK and at Cranfield University, as an International Student

As an international student, I chose the UK—and Cranfield in particular—after completing my first master’s in France. I had the chance to work with Cranfield alumni and a professor, and what stood out was not just their high praise for the university but also the knowledge and skills they possessed. The Cranfield influence was evident in their work, and that spoke volumes to me.

Witnessing that firsthand made me realise that Cranfield was where I needed to be. The UK’s rich aviation heritage, combined with Cranfield’s top-tier facilities and industry connections, made the decision easy. It felt like the perfect place to take my passion for aerospace to new heights.

Aditi Nilvarna, current student, Aerospace Vehicle Design MSc

Written By: Alice Kirkaldy