Homepage / How to decide where and when to embark on an MBA Programme

How to decide where and when to embark on an MBA Programme

25/07/2023

Undertaking an MBA during a period of economic uncertainty may seem like a daunting prospect, even though you may completely understand that having an MBA ‘under your belt’ will only enhance your future employability prospects. For some of our current MBA students, the decision to begin the programme was not about whether to study but rather about where best to study to enhance employability prospects at the end of the programme.

We spoke to Anjali Sanjay, an MBA student from India about her experience in choosing her MBA course and why ultimately, she chose to come to Cranfield as her university destination of choice.

Anjali: “The decision to do an MBA was important, but what was more crucial was to make the right choice of where to study. It was a long, tiring, and complex process of research, which is vitally important, as this is a decision that will affect your future. I needed to make the best choice I could. I am relieved to say that I have never regretted my final decision to choose to study for an MBA at Cranfield University.

“There were various steps that I followed to make the right choice.

“The first decision was choosing the right country. I was open to Spanish and English-speaking countries. Although, there have been some changes in student visa rules in the UK, along with Brexit, getting a UK student visa was a straightforward process. Which was great as I knew I wanted to work in the UK because I would gain great international exposure. I found the UK to be my perfect match.

“The second step was choosing the right university with great brand value in the market. I narrowed it down to three universities and I applied to all three of them and got an offer from two. One being Cranfield and the other being another top university in the UK. Choosing between the two was quite difficult as both universities were top-ranked and well-known for their MBA programmes.”

How did I choose Cranfield School of Management?

“I compared both universities and settled on Cranfield due to some very specific qualities that Cranfield has, namely:

1. The cohort size:

“Cranfield deliberately keeps its cohort size between 45 to 50 students. I thought that this would allow me to get to know everyone by the end of the year and I would get a chance to work with and learn from them. Also, as there is a smaller number of students in the cohort, I would get the opportunity to engage strongly with the programme faculty and professors.

1. Diversity:

“Every year more than 90% of students are international students hailing from at least 15 different countries and from diverse industry / sector backgrounds – this year it ranged from legal to fashion! I knew that this would provide me with the opportunity to work with and learn from people with different industry backgrounds and nationalities.

1. Postgraduate courses:

“Cranfield University is the only wholly UK-based postgraduate university so I knew I would have the opportunity to meet very different, experienced, and likeminded people. Additionally I felt that the variety of postgraduate courses offered throughout the university would enhance my experience of meeting a wide-ranging group of people.

1. The Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship:

“Cranfield School of Management encompasses the Bettany Centre, which has a team dedicated to providing support to entrepreneurs. If you are interested in starting your own business, like me, this centre is an excellent resource in providing guidance and support as you formulate your business plans. It also introduces you to likeminded entrepreneurs so that you can build your network.

1. Great alumni network:

“I researched and found out that Cranfield alumni are in different countries and organisations in leading roles. They are very active in providing support and mentoring current students. Additionally I have found them to be very approachable, I connected with two alumni and they were quick to reply and showed a lot of interest in helping me make the right decisions throughout the course.

1. Course Fees:

“Compared with other top-ranked business schools, the course fee of Cranfield is very cost-effective. For me, it is like getting the best quality and standard for a very reasonable investment.

“There are of course more points of consideration while making the decision on where to study my MBA, like the fact that Cranfield has a safe, green campus in a very convenient geographical location but the above-mentioned ones, for me, were the driving factor.

“Cranfield was the best fit for me as it ticked all my boxes and I have never second-guessed my decision. The Cranfield MBA programme is truly a transformational MBA.”

Thank you Anjali for taking us through your reasons on deciding why to study an MBA at Cranfield School of Management.

Employability rankings

Did you know that Cranfield University has been ranked 8th in the UK for employability by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) in 2023? The CWUR assessed more than 20,000 universities worldwide and ranked the best-performing universities in terms of employability after graduation. Employability refers to the professional success of the university’s alumni. It measures the number of alumni who hold top positions within major companies relative to the university’s size.

For more information on the Transformation MBA Programme, which has been redesigned for 2023, book a call with Helen or visit our Transformation MBA webpage.

Anjali Sanjay

Written By: Clare Hanson

Current student, MBA