Homepage / Sailing, Learning and the Thrill of Discovery!

Sailing, Learning and the Thrill of Discovery!

07/07/2023

“Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

I am thrilled to share my incredible experience of learning how to sail a regatta during my on going month-long trip to Spain! 🇪🇸⛵️ As a part of honing my learning consulting skills, I embarked on this adventure to immerse myself in an environment that nurtured teamwork, leadership, curiosity, and creativity. It has been an eye-opening journey that I will cherish forever. Learning how to sail has been an exhilarating experience, pushing me out of my comfort zone and teaching me invaluable lessons along the way. The regatta demanded strong collaboration and effective communication within the team, highlighting the importance of working together towards a common goal. We faced numerous challenges, and I witnessed first-hand the power of leadership in guiding the team through adversity, maintaining motivation, and fostering a positive mindset. Curiosity played a significant role throughout this journey.

I embraced the opportunity to explore the intricacies of sailing, constantly seeking knowledge and pushing boundaries. Whether it was understanding wind patterns, mastering navigation techniques, or learning to adapt to ever-changing conditions, I found myself embracing new challenges with an insatiable thirst for knowledge. Creativity also emerged as a vital aspect of sailing. Navigating through uncharted waters required thinking outside the box and finding innovative solutions to unexpected situations.

The experience pushed me to tap into my creative reserves, discovering new perspectives and approaches to problem-solving. I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to my Course Director Michael Dickmann, organisers of the regatta and Cranfield School of Management for providing me with this extraordinary opportunity. Their guidance, expertise, and unwavering support made this experience truly unforgettable.

I am immensely grateful for their dedication and commitment to fostering personal growth and skill development. This sailing adventure has not only enriched my understanding of teamwork, leadership, communication, curiosity, and creativity but also reinforced my belief in the power of experiential learning. I am excited to bring these invaluable lessons back to my work as a learning consultant, where I can apply them to empower teams, foster collaboration, and drive innovative solutions.

Lipsa Nayak

Written By: Lina Mitchell

Management MSc student with a passion for exploring the world, delving into books, and staying up to date with the latest in technology.