Homepage / Building strong friendships at Cranfield

Building strong friendships at Cranfield

16/08/2023

To celebrate the recent International Day of Friendship (Sunday 30 July 2023), we caught up with current Logistics and Supply Chain Management MSc students Claudia and Manu about the special friendship they formed whilst studying at Cranfield.

Meet Claudia and Manu…

My name is Claudia Berenice Landeros, and I am from San Luis Potosi, Mexico, where I reside with my mother who is a former teacher, my father who is an engineering professor, my sister Sandra who is an engineer working in supply chain for a large automotive company, and my brother Hugo, an economist working for an insurance firm. My family has always supported me and inspired me to keep growing and to follow my dreams.

San Luis Potosi is a warm and beautiful city in the heart of Mexico that is renowned for being the hub of the Automotive Logistics Cluster. Since Mexico is a major exporter of automobiles, many automotive assembly companies and automotive suppliers are located nearby.

Hey there, my name is Manu Mangal, and I am pursuing my master’s degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Cranfield University in the UK. From a young age I always dreamt of doing something different from others, something that not everyone could do and therefore I chose to become a seafarer. Being a seafarer and sailing around the world has brought me close to nature and of course to the seas.

Coming from a family that deeply values education and public service, I have been inspired by my parents’ careers. My mother, a former teacher, instilled in me a love for knowledge, while my father’s work for the government has fuelled my desire to make a positive impact on society. Continuing this family tradition, my sister proudly contributes to the public sector by working for a government bank.

#followourjourney  studying Cranfield  followourjourney       

Tell us about your study/career journey so far…

Claudia: When I was younger, I wanted to work in the tourism sector. Since I was a child, I have been fortunate to visit many towns, cities, and beaches in Mexico, and as a result, traveling around Mexico has become my favourite hobby. I also like to swim and run in my free time.

I opted to pursue a bachelor’s in business management at the Polytechnic University of San Luis Potosi. In my final semester, I took the module of Logistics Management, and I had the opportunity to do my internship with Bosch in the new logistics project area. I also did my thesis project in Inventory Control Management. Following my internship, I worked for the company EDAG, and then for JTEKT in the logistics and production control department.

I decided to take a career break and spend two years in New Jersey, USA, participating in an exchange programme. During this time I completed a brief course in Distribution and Logistics Management as well as an English course. I had the opportunity to meet some incredible people from all around the world and lived with a wonderful American family that I now consider my own! (Betty, Meg, Tim, Jackie, and Lou).

Following this, I returned to Mexico to resume my profession as a Procurement and Logistics Specialist for ABB with the ambition to continue expanding my skills in supply chain and pursue a master’s degree. I then encountered Cranfield and found the programme structure to be quite attractive; I believe that all of the modules are directly relevant to what the industry requires. I also discovered fascinating topics such as Supply Chain Sustainability, Circular Supply Chain, and Humanitarian Logistics, which I was not aware of and wanted to learn more about.

Manu: Let me take you through my academic journey. I completed my B-Tech in Marine Engineering at Birla Institute of Technology & Sciences in India. Seeking to expand my horizons, I decided to pursue an MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Cranfield University. Choosing Cranfield University for my master’s degree was a no-brainer, as its prestigious reputation and collaborative environment has provided me with the perfect platform to enhance my skills, build valuable connections, and make a lasting impact in the field I’m truly passionate about.

My career history has been a thrilling ride, filled with remarkable achievements and invaluable experiences. I started my professional journey at AP Moller Maersk, the world’s largest container shipping company, as a Marine Engineer. Seeking new challenges, I later joined Verifavia Shipping, a renowned carbon emissions verification body and a leader in hazardous material inventory management for ships as Ship Manager.

Did you form any strong friendships during your time at Cranfield?

Claudia: Cranfield has been a fantastic experience for me so far! Learning from experienced lecturers and meeting fantastic people here has helped me learn about diverse cultures, respect everyone’s ideas, exchange experiences, and grow together. Having the support of my Mexican friends makes me feel at home, and Manu is a fantastic and dedicated person who shares his passion for Logistics and Supply Chain and the ambition of continuing to improve not only professionally but also as a human.

Manu: Throughout my academic and professional endeavours, I’ve been fortunate to have an incredible support system of friends who have stood by me. Among my close circle of friends, Claudia holds a special place. From late-night study sessions to brainstorming ideas, Claudia has been there, cheering me on and pushing me to reach my full potential. I am truly grateful for her friendship and the positive impact she has had on my life.

friends having dinner

Tell us about any events or social activities you have taken part in with friends

Claudia: Cranfield has provided me with the opportunity to participate as a student ambassador and share my experiences with prospective students from around the world. Currently, I am doing research for my master’s thesis on Public Healthcare Supply Chain Resilience. This has been an incredible chance for me to appreciate the role of supply chain management in the improvement of the public healthcare sector.

Manu: Beyond my professional endeavours, I actively engage in volunteer work and pursue a variety of interests. I have a deep passion for international travel, having explored over 20 countries, broadening my cultural horizons, and providing unique insights into global supply chains. In my free time, I indulge in photography, baking delicious treats, following Formula One racing, and staying up to date with the latest gadgets and technological trends.

Will you stay in contact after you leave Cranfield?

Yes definitely, we are currently preparing to move off campus and are looking for accommodation together as well as focusing on looking for employment.  We are both very excited to see what the future holds and thankful to Cranfield for the opportunities, and for the friendships and relationships we have been privileged to build during our time here.

This is why when we were approached by the Cranfield School of Management Marketing Team who were interested in showing our fellow students, and new students what life is like after Cranfield we jumped at the opportunity.  The team will be following our journey over the next few months, and we will be sharing images, videos and updates as we view properties in our search for accommodation, the ups and downs of looking for employment and attending interviews, as well as socialising and travel with friends and family.

You can find out more about our journey on the Cranfield School of Management social media channels #FollowOurJourney

Claudia Berenice Landeros and Manu Mangal

Written By: Tammie Argent-Peters

Logistics and Supply Chain Management MSc Students