We want you to be able to study comfortably in all our libraries. At the Kings Norton Library we have been working hard to reduce ongoing problems with noise.
Please work in the zone that most suits your needs
We have created red, amber and green noise zones in the building.
In RED silent study areas:
- You may use headphones if others cannot hear them
- Switch phones, laptops and tablets to silent mode
- Do not make calls on your phone or talk to others
The top floor of the building is a RED area, as are the reports and archive areas of the ground floor (accessible via the back staircases).
In AMBER quiet study areas:
- You may talk quietly to the person sitting beside you, but not in a group
- You may take short calls on your phone, but talk quietly
- Use headphones, and switch phones, tablets and laptops to silent mode
The first floor of the building is an AMBER area.
In GREEN collaborative areas:
- You may work or discuss projects in a small group but you should not disturb others
The PC Hub and Library atrium are GREEN areas.
Please respect the rights of other Library users. If you are disturbing others we may ask you to be quiet, or to move to a more appropriate area of the building.
If you are being disturbed, you can text us or tell us
You can text us to tell us if you are being disturbed by other students in quiet or silent study areas.
The service runs on Mondays to Thursdays from 8.30am until 9pm, and on Fridays from 8.30am until 4.30pm. Just text us your location to 07769239031 and we will come and investigate.
You are still more than welcome to report problems with noise directly to a member of staff, but the text service should help if you would prefer to be more discreet.
If you are experiencing low-level noise, we can also give you some free earplugs that may help you concentrate – just ask!