If you are researching a company for a project or job interview, one of the key things you may want to uncover are its Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. A SWOT analysis will summarise these and you can use this as a basis for further investigation about that company and/or its competitors. SWOT analyses can be found in the following resources.
MarketLine would be our first point of call for SWOT analyses. It is very easy to use and covers thousands of major listed companies worldwide.
Within any company profile, there should be an option for SWOT Analysis.
The SWOT analysis is colour-coordinated and easy to follow. Download to MS Word or PDF using the on-screen ‘Export section’ options.
Thomson One also offers access to SWOT analyses from a number of other companies and brokers including: GlobalData, ICD Research and Indigo Equity Research.
Access to Thomson One is currently available off-campus via the VMWare Horizon client. Please remember to use Internet Explorer as your browser.
Use the Thomson One menus to access the Research Search page.
- In the company search box start typing the name of your company e.g. “Akzo Nobel” and select the correct company from the options displayed.
- Select your time period, e.g. Last 1 Year.
- Under ‘More Options’ – in the keyword box, select Title/Text and then enter the keyword “swot” (this can be either upper or lower case).
- Click on the ‘Search’ button at the bottom and your results will be displayed below the search box (you may have to scroll down to see them).
- To view the results select the items you require by clicking in the box on the left hand side and then click ‘View’.
- A list of reports with table of contents will be displayed. Click on ‘Select All’ or the individual sections you require and then ‘View’ and your reports will be displayed in a single PDF document.
Other sources that may provide SWOT analyses are our journal databases, including ABI/Inform and EBSCO Business Source Complete. Check coverage for your company by using the company name and the word ‘swot’ as search-terms.
If you have any questions about any aspect of company research, please contact MIRC.
Feature image from Pixabay. Available at: https://pixabay.com/photos/financial-analytics-blur-business-2860753/